NMIMS Helps Students to Apply Statistics and Analytics for Change
SVKM’s NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science Helps Students to Apply Statistics and Analytics for Change
In a world driven by data and phenomenal hike in digitization during the COVID-19 era and beyond, professionals who can interpret and apply data into useful information are in high demand across the industries. Applied Analytics & Statistics is a sought-after field for transformation in education, healthcare, IT, retail, BFSI and every other sector. It is the key to understanding human behaviour and needs to cater to them in the most seamless and intelligent way.
The programs come under the purview of SVKM’s NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science which was established in 2007 to nurture and create future researchers and innovators in different fields of Science. The institute imparts a unique learning methodology which is a hallmark of NMIMS by emphasizing on academic excellence with industry-oriented training, scientific thought and training professionals with interdisciplinary skills.
Looking at the rapid changes in the Data Analytics sector, Prof. Sunil Shirvaiker (Program Director – Statistics, Sunandan Divatia School of Science) says, “The exponential growth of data, partly generated by sensor-driven devices, is making Data Science and machine learning market differentiators in global business-analytics solutions. With the rising demand in Data Science and ML skills, 2020 may well be a witness to several new trends in the field. Some of the key trends are growth of data science roles and widespread automation in Data Science. We are proud to cater to the need of entire industry by creating skilled Statistics and Analytics professionals.”
With the legacy of 40 years, NMIMS Deemed to be University has grown to be not only one of the top-10 B-schools in India but also emerged as a multi-disciplinary, multi-campus University at Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Indore, Shirpur, Dhule, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Chandigarh and seventeen constituent schools that include Management, Family Business, Engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture, Commerce, Economics, Law, Science, Liberal Arts, Design, Performing Arts, Mathematical Science, Agricultural Science, Hospitality Management, Branding & Advertising and Distance Learning. Also, NMIMS has nine Centres of Excellence as well at the University.
B.Sc. in Applied Analytics & Statistics
The program focuses on complete development of students in the field of Data Science by excelling in computational & analytical skills in an interdisciplinary curriculum. The pedagogy covers all important bases such as lectures by excellent faculty and practical learning in basics of Statistics, Mathematics, Economics and Computer Programming, along with insightful seminars, workshops, and exposure to industry trends in the subsequent years.
Key features of Bachelor’s Program:
- A unique program, designed with inputs from eminent academicians and industry leaders, to focus on building skillsets for the growing requirement of data scientists in the industry.
- Curriculum focuses on applied as well as theoretical aspects of Statistics along with subjects from Economics, Mathematics, Computers & Analytics.
- Extensive use of the following software: MS Excel, R Studio, Python, SQL, Oracle, SAS Visual Analytics to solve practical problems and projects.
- In built opportunity to improve soft skills as well as scientific writing.
- Grading system at par with international standards.
- A system of continuous evaluation through seminars, quizzes, and practical assignments.
- Guest faculty drawn from a pool of experts from Industry/academia thereby ensuring a balanced and continuous interaction with the industry.
M.Sc. in Statistics
The Masters in Statistics program provides in depth knowledge of Statistics in the area such as Statistical Inference, Stochastic Processes, Time Series Analysis, Applied Multivariate Analysis which motivates students towards research. However, it blends traditional M.Sc. with practical application skill set building through extensive learning which is aligned with requirements of the Industry. Students are equipped with statistical and computational tools like SAS, SPSS, R, Python to carry out research/data analysis. Scientific writing with soft skills training helps them transform into complete professionals.
Key features of Master’s in Statistics Program:
- Modern facilities to support the curriculum
- Use of case study to understand statistical concepts
- Continuous evaluation and monitoring by faculties
- Six months of industry training
- Guest lectures by eminent academicians and industry leaders
- Competitive edge in national eligibility tests for recruitment /scholarship /vertical academic progression leading to Ph.D. in Statistics
M.Sc. in Applied Analytics & Statistics
The curriculum provides rigorous learning in fundamental principles of statistical inference, statistical machine learning, applied and computational statistics through high-engagement lectures, case studies and hands-on practical in tools such as R, SAS, Python, HADOOP, SQL, SPSS.
Key features of Master’s in Applied Analytics and Statistics Program:
- Industry Interface Program which keeps students updated with the latest industry trends and research organizations via industrial visits & guest lectures
- Every student is required to complete a research project, preferably industry oriented
- Excellent grading system on par with international standards
- All modern facilities to support research driven learning and extra-curricular activities
- Highly qualified faculty and innovative teaching methods to encourage continuous interaction
- Interdisciplinary learning to aide in overall growth with subjects like Econometrics, Finance, Life Sciences etc.
News Disclaimer: This story is provided by PRNewswire. The EdTalk will not be responsible in anyway for the content of this article.